Use a Windows computer without antivirus is something simply unthinkable nowadays. The great popularity of the Microsoft operating system causes the virus writers concentrate on making viruses for Windows, which has a much larger potential audience. This explains in part the lower incidence of computer virus in other operating systems. It is important to say that Unix-based systems also had to focus on security since its inception, which also contributes to decrease the occurrence of the virus in these systems.
And cell phones? You must use an antivirus on the phone? There is even a danger that big to justify this? Depends on the operating system of your phone and you have to install programs, open sites and read emails. A problem of using mobile antivirus is that it always will be occupying the memory of the device, leaving your phone less fast than he could be. In smartphones with the more limited memory this can be a very high price to pay.
On Android for example every app is somewhat isolated from other. When you install a new program on your device you can view a list of the permissions that the program has, to limit the radius of action of even if you want to do something wrong with your device. I don’t use any anti virus for mobile, but follow the security recommendations below on my Android:
- only install applications that are rated by other users
- always check if the permissions required by the application are compatible with the function of the app
- never open links that don’t know in e-mails I receive
- only install apps that are made available through the Android Market, since they are also a security control based on complaints and complaints of users
- do not modify or replace system files
- looking for use the apps more well known and tested by many people
With these simple recommendations your Android phone will hardly need an antivirus. For other operating systems such as Symbian, iOS or even Windows Phone 7 these tips keep all valid, since they are well.
And you? What do you think of using antivirus? Uses some in your unit? Make a difference for you? Ever had problems before?